I need to be at work by 7:00 am on certain days. Bang the 5:55 snoozer a couple times, then carefully unwind Pigtails from her blankets like a burrito, getting her moving at granny pace. I put some pants on (welcome), pack lunches and jam her cold weather recess gear into a knapsack. She is, in theory, in the other room getting dressed and detangling her tresses as I'm hustling around. Shoes on, school drop with her favorite breakfast granola bar, slap her with a hug-n-kiss, then bolt to work.
We've got the routine down pat and it usually moves along nicely. Until it's time to put her shoes on.
The shoes, oh those filthy, smelly shoes! The scenarios include, but are not limited to:
- One shoe is missing.
- Both shoes are missing. No worries, the kid happily informs me she found her tap shoes.
- One shoe has dog poop on it. We must smear it off before leaving. We don't own a dog.
- Her shoe laces are knotted together, I'm not very good with knots.
- A shoe lace is missing. How does that happen?
- One shoe's on, yes! But daughter is in la-la land and it takes her several minutes to focus and get that second shoe squared away.
- I'm somehow missing one of my shoes.
- She is wearing one moon boot, one tennis shoe, and she doesn't appear to give a rip.
- Pigtails is sitting on the floor, snapping her wrist with a turtle Silly Bandz, rather than putting her shoes on. I tell her "Please put your shoes on, you're going to make dad late for work." She responds, "I am", while continuing to sit there, slowly snapping her wrist with a turtle Silly Bandz.
The shoe problem drives me nuts, it often ends with me yelling, "PUT YOUR SHOES ON, NOW!" She looks at me bewildered, like "what's the big deal, grouchy?"
Do your kids have shoe problems in the morning or is it just me?