The first stanza confirmed smoking and mowing 40 oz. malt liquors are healthier than obesity. Go to your local Piggly Wiggly, scoop up 100 grown-ups and 70 of them will be overweight or obese. Only 30% of adults in America are within the healthy weight range.
BMI is a simple calculation of body fat based on weight and height. Do you know what your BMI is? To find out, spin the scale (no cheating), then measure how tall you are in inches. Boot up the Casio solar calculator, the formula goes like this:
(weight x 708) / height" / height"
Let's say, hypothetically of course, one has a pale scrawny frame of 142 pounds and 71". The Casio cranks the BMI damage:
142 lbs x 708 = 100536
100536 / 71" = 1416
1416 / 71" = 19.9 BMI
We know what needs to be done to trim down, just a matter of getting it done. And remember, cutting calories grinds weight faster than exercise, especially for women. Combine the two to hasten the restoration of your youth.
Not only should parents work to stay in shape, we are responsible for keeping our children in the healthy weight zone.
Pigtails' Coo Coo for Curry
I introduce my daughter to a wide variety of food. This is key to getting the girl trotting down the path of a lifetime of healthy eats.
I've shaped her taste buds to sing when they touch avocados, hummus, black beans, grilled cod, wild rice, tuna wraps, peas in the pod, sliced green peppers, raw apples, yogurts (5 a week), milk and green tea. We're no fools, we ease up and get greasy on weekends: monster 'loins and seared chuck.
Every so often, her mouse voice begs not for McD's but: "Daddy, I'm craving A-Dong vegetable spring rolls" or "can we do Indian curry for lunch?"
Tots exposed (not forced) to diverse dishes will learn to appreciate funky fodder, be less picky on their plate, and have a healthy dance with food when they move out on their own.
I'm annoyed when parents say they're too busy to cook or exclusively feed their little ones mac 'n' cheese, pizza rolls and PB&J. That's sad. They are scheduling junior for a wresting match with the scale in 20 years.
I see adults eating like kids, thumbing their nose at everything but the blandest of bites. Maybe their parents didn't branch their meals. Are picky folks apt to struggle with the belt leaving tight red marks around the waist?
SpaghettiOs suck, feed kids nutritious adult meals.
Loose Buds, Lower BMI
So why start the post on BMI and end with kids crazy for curry? Because they are linked together. Speaking out of my buttocks here with no scientific data to back it, here is my observation:
- Brats raised mostly on junk food are more likely to be picky eaters as adults.
- Parents that rarely cook eat out more. Kids often eat less healthy when doing take-out*, especially if frequenting fast foods. *Subway and Jared get a pass.
- Adult picky eaters are more likely to have difficulty maintaining weight, ingesting too much of the junky stuff and too little of the good vittles. Filled on empty carbs, salt and fat while shunning vitamins and nutrients, thee body is getting one-two punched. Gaining weight even as it starves for what it really needs.
- Adult picky eaters on average may having a higher BMI than non-picky eaters.
- Adult picky eaters may perpetuate the pattern of fussiness with their offspring.
- The cycle continues.
Agree or disagree?