Last Week's Progress
Knee pain has hampered Liz's progression. She was able to log 10 miles last week, and things are slowly on the mend. Her knees are starting to feel better with the new pair of shoes, but her calves are barking:
"I get cramps in the calf area frequently despite stretching. They are very painful. How can I deal with them?
Leg cramps can be triggered by a number of things. I'm guessing the hill workouts the past two weeks are the culprit. Extra water and eating a banana beforehand might help, since potassium is good for cramps.
We'll dial back on the hills to keep the calves happy. Here we go, starting from yesterday:
- Saturday -1 mile walk/jog warmup, then walk a half mile, then jog a half mile
- Sunday - 3 miles, alternate 1 minute walking, 1 minute jogging
- Monday - Rest, take the day off if sore or casual walk 2 miles if the legs feel good
- Tuesday - 3 miles, alternating walking and jogging every other block
- Wednesday - Sweaty smorgasbord, pick an activity of your choosing that gets your heart pumping for 30 minutes. Run, bike, elliptical, unicycle or group fitness class. Key here is you need to work hard. If using a machine like an elliptical, set the level high enough that your heart and breathing are thumping and it's difficult to hold a conversation.
- Thursday - Same workout as Saturday, but try to finish it one minute faster
- Friday - Rest
Nearly halfway there!